School of Humanities & Social Sciences
General Facts & Hallmarks
- that can be completed in the School of Humanities and Social Sciences: seven bachelor’s, one associate
- Average junior/senior level class size: 20
- Faculty are regular recipients of University-wide awards.
- One of the few programs in the country to offer the B.F.A. degree with intensive study in poetry and prose writing.
- State-of-the-art provide superior hands-on learning experiences.
- Faculty Awards
Mission and Vision
The mission of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences at Penn State Behrend is to integrate teaching, research, and service in a way that will ensure innovative academic programs, encourage nationally recognized faculty scholarship, and promote professional service and community outreach.
The School of Humanities and Social Sciences will continue to:
- develop excellent academic programs that attract national and international attention and produce the highest quality graduates.
- advance its scholarly mission by encouraging nationally recognized faculty scholarship and promoting undergraduate research opportunities.
- contribute service to the academic profession and offer faculty expertise to aid the region's economic, social, and intellectual development.
The School of Humanities and Social Sciences shares Penn State Behrend's vision of becoming nationally recognized as a “high quality, four-year and graduate college within a major university” and regionally recognized as “the education and outreach partner of choice.” Our school's mission is to support this vision through innovative and outstanding teaching, research, and scholarship, as well as exceptional professional service and outreach.