Penn State Behrend promotes excellence in teaching, research, and service. It is the combination of these three activities that provides the most meaningful undergraduate educational experience, while maintaining an appropriate scholarly level for the faculty. Faculty member research includes creative accomplishment and other scholarly activities such as: publication of scholarly journal articles; publication of books or parts of books; book reviews; research reports to sponsors; presentation of research results at national and international conferences; creative accomplishments such as exhibition, production, or publication of original architecture, dance, design, electronic media, film, journalism, or literature; and funded projects, grants, commissions, and contracts.
Prior to initiating sponsored research and scholarly activity, the college recommends that faculty and staff members contact Patty Lanich, assistant coordinator of contracts and grants management at email@example.com or 814-898-7596 to discuss all aspects of the research and scholarly activity process, including such things as sponsor protocols and deadlines, intellectual property, budgeting, and University policies.
In addition, the college has a coordinator for strategic proposal development, Carrie Payne, who focuses on projects of large scale and potential for collaboration. She can be reached at 814-898-6686 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Penn State Behrend Faculty Research Handbook PDF Format / Word Document: Provides an overview of sponsored research primarily targeting new faculty members, along with two important checklists which provide further guidance for principal investigators: Principal Investigator’s Checklist and Sponsored Research Checklist.
- Electronic Sponsor Searching: Information and resources to identify potential funding opportunities available from a variety of different sponsors.
- Proposal Preparation: A series of guides, tips, and primers for submitting successful proposals, including detailed information on NSF and NIH.
- Internal Approval Forms and Instructions (Proposals and awards must be forwarded to college's office of contracts and grants management)
- Budgeting: Information related primarily to developing budgets, calculating matching funds, equipment, consultants, and subcontracts.
The Intellectual Property Office protects, transfers, and enforces Penn State intellectual property. The office encourages commercial interest in Penn State inventions and seeks to generate revenue from Penn State intellectual property.
- Policy IPO1: Ownership and Management of Intellectual Property
- Guide to Non-Disclosure Agreements: Commonly requested when two or more parties wish to enter into initial discussions about specific processes, methods, or technology for the purpose of determining the potential for a future relationship. A Non-Disclosure Agreement Checklist should be completed and forwarded to the contracts and grants management office for approval prior to discussions.
- Conflict of Interest
- Intellectual Property
- Private Consulting Practice
- Sabbatical Leave
- Significant Financial Interest Disclosure
- Subcontract/Subaward Request Form
- Office of Research Protections - Human Subjects
Technology Transfer and Entrepreneurial Activity: