3+4 Accelerated Program in Optometry
Phase I - Penn State Behrend
Students will be admitted, on a competitive basis, to the Penn State Behrend phase of the program based upon the following minimum criteria:
- SAT combined math and verbal score of 1200
- High school GPA of 3.5 and high school rank in top 25% of class
- Additional evidence of scholarly and professional potential and desire to become an optometrist
- Preference given to Pennsylvania, eastern Ohio, and southwestern New York residents from rural areas, but highly qualified applicants from other geographic locations will also be considered
1. To begin the application process, apply to Penn State University. Please indicate Penn State Erie as your first choice for Campus Location and Biology as your choice of major.
Applying for the Accelerated Program is a separate application, as this Accelerated program is only offered at the Erie campus.
2. Next, apply for Phase I of the 3 + 4 Accelerated Program in Optometry by completing this Application Form.
3. Acceptance to Phase I of the program is determined by Penn State Behrend Pre-Health committee members. You will be notified upon completion of this process.
If you have any questions, you may contact:
Dr. Michael W. Justik, Pre-Optometry Adviser and Health Professions Coordinator, email@example.com or call 814-898-6105.
Since admission to Phase I is granted on a competitive basis and there are a limited number of openings, it is recommended that you apply as early as possible. Admission to Phase I grants the successful applicant conditional acceptance into Phase II. Acceptance into Phase II is based on the conditions outlined herein and is administered by OSU.
Phase II - Ohio State University
Final acceptance of candidates to Phase II of the program will be determined by the Ohio State University College of Optometry.
An automatic invitation to interview at the College of Optometry will be granted if the student participating in the Accelerated Program meets the following criteria while attending Penn State Behrend:
- A minimal overall grade point average at Penn State Behrend of 3.5 and a minimum GPA of 3.5 in science courses;
- The Optometry Admission Test (“OAT”) taken no later than March 31 of the student’s junior year and earned minimum scores of 320 science, 320 academic average, and above 300 in each subcategory.
- Observed at least two optometric practices.
- Received a favorable letter of recommendation from the Penn State Behrend Health and Allied Health Professions Advisor.
- Met the application deadline of March 31st.
See the OSU School of Optometry Admissions Requirements for more information.