The accounting minor requires students to complete 16 additional credits in accounting beyond the 4 credits required in ACCTG 211. It is designed to introduce students to advanced topics in financial and cost accounting, as well as to the basics of income tax accounting for individuals. This minor can provide an enhanced understanding of accounting information flows, costing systems, and the general tax environment to students majoring in other business areas and it is a particularly good compliment to the finance and management information systems majors. On its own,it will not generally enable students to meet the requirements for professional licensing in accounting.
A grade of C or better is required for all courses in the minor.
* ACCTG 211 Financial and Managerial Accounting for Decision Making
* ACCTG 310 - Federal Income Taxation
* ACCTG 371 - Intermediate Accounting I
* ACCTG 472 - Intermediate Accounting II
Any 3-credit 400-level ACCTG course
An additional 3-credits in ACCTG
Advising and Course Selection
Students should meet with a member of the accounting faculty to discuss which of these courses will be most beneficial for a particular area of interest. The following courses are offered on a regular basis.
ACCTG 312 - Accounting Technology Lab
* ACCTG 340 - Cost Accounting
* ACCTG 403 - Auditing Practice and Standards
ACCTG 410 - Advanced Federal Income Taxation
ACCTG 411 - Accounting Practicum (VITA)
* ACCTG 422 - Accounting Systems
ACCTG 440 - Advanced Management Accounting
* ACCTG 450 - Advanced Accounting
B LAW 444 - Commercial Law
Declaring an Accounting Minor
To declare a minor in Accounting, you must go to eLion, click on “Minor Declaration,” and complete the information requested. If you have any questions about the minor, please contact the in-charge person for the minor, Dr. Greg Filbeck.
* Denotes a course required for the accounting major. You may note that by taking the appropriate courses, an accounting major can be obtained by taking 6 credits of accounting course work beyond what is required for the accounting minor.