If you will be operating a bicycle or moped on campus, you must register it and obtain a permit. To do so, visit Police Services during business hours. All bicycles must be operated according to University regulations and the provisions of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code as it pertains to bicycles.
A moped must also be registered and you need to obtain a permit for it. However, you may park the moped as a bicycle on campus. Keep in mind that a moped shall be operated in accordance with the same driving and parking rules and regulations as other motor vehicles.
A copy of the bicycle/moped regulations are available from Police Services. More information about University regulations regarding bicycles, mopeds, and other mobility devices are given in Policy SY16.
Protect Your Bicycle
- Lock your bicycle every time it must be left unattended.
- Use a high-quality lock and case-hardened chain to lock your bicycle. Avoid locks that can be easily picked, broken, or cut with wire cutters.
- Lock your bicycle by placing the chain through both wheels, the frame, and around a stationery object.
Bicycle Safety Tips
- Obey all traffic control devices and routing signs. Stop at all red lights and stop signs.
- Yield to pedestrians.
- Maintain a safe stopping distance behind moving cars.
- Do not pass a vehicle on the right.
- Walk your bike when crossing streets and intersections.
- Be courteous and fair to pedestrians, other bicyclists, and drivers.
- Avoid traveling too fast down hills or on rough and slippery roads.