Employment opportunities are on-going for this position.
- Possess U.S. citizenship.
- Be at least 21 years of age on the date of application.
- Possess or obtain a valid Pennsylvania driver's license.
- Write and speak effectively.
- Pass an extensive background investigation.
- Pass a medical examination and physical fitness test.
- Act 120/180 certificate
- Baccalaureate degree in law enforcement or related field
Municipal Police Officer Education and Training Commission Requirements
- Have visual acuity of at least 20/70, uncorrected in the stronger eye, correctable to at least 20/20; and at least 20/200, uncorrected in the weaker eye, correctable to at least 20/40.
- Have normal depth and color perception and be free of any other significant visual abnormality.
- Have audio acuity sufficient to distinguish a normal whisper at a distance of 15 feet; the use of a hearing aid or other aid is prohibited; if this test is failed the applicant is required to take and pass a decibel audio test.
- Be free from the addictive or excessive use of either alcohol or drugs.
- Be free from the use of illegal controlled substances.
- Be free from any debilitating conditions which may affect the applicant's ability to perform as a police officer.
- Have a physical condition which could be reasonably expected to withstand significant cardiovascular stress.
- May not be missing any extremities, including digits, which would prevent performance of required police duties or meeting minimum training requirements.
- Be free of any other significant physical limitation or disability which would, in the examining physician's opinion, impair the applicant's ability to perfrom the duties of a police officer or complete the required minimum training requirements.
- Be psychologically capable to exercise appropriate judgment or restraint in performing the duties of a police officer.
- NOTE: A complete medical examination and psychological testing will be administered by the Pennsylvania State University after an applicant has been made a conditional offer of employment.
For current salary information, contact Police Services.
- 18 days paid vacation and 12 paid holidays per year
- 12 paid sick days per year
- 75% discount on tuition fees for employees and dependents
- State Employees Retirement System or TIAA/CREF
- Comprehensive insurance package including life, medical, dental, and vision coverage