If you would like to discuss any issues, require testing, or receive treatment, please make an appointment with the Health and Wellness Center. Also, we've provided some helpful tips on how to stay healthy.
If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, it is important that you make an appointment with the Health and Wellness Center:
- Testicular or scrotal pain, swelling, or lumps
- Painful urination or urethral discharge
- Difficulty voiding or weak urinary stream (possible prostate problem)
- Rash or bumps in the genital area
We can also provide information regarding erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation.
CAUTION: Students with sudden and/or severe genital pain should go immediately to the Health and Wellness Center (during business hours) or to one of the local emergency rooms.
All of your medical records are confidential by state law. The Health and Wellness Center cannot release your medical information to anyone --- including your parents or any other department at Penn State without your written consent. There are a very few exceptions when information is required to be released without your written consent. The exceptions include emergencies or when required by law. Positive STD test results must be released by law to the Pennsylvania Department of Health for the purpose of contact notification.
College age men die or are injured three times more often than women. Half of these are preventable deaths that result from risk taking and poor health behaviors. Below are some general suggestions for living a healthy lifestyle.
- If you smoke cigarettes or chew tobacco, quit or reduce the amount or frequency.
- Avoid high-risk drinking and recreational drugs.
- Wear seatbelts, avoid agressive driving, and never drive under the influence of alcohol.
- Practice monthly testicular self exams to detect testicular cancer.
- Perform a self examination for unusual moles and other skin conditions.
- If you are sexually active, use condoms and practice safe sex.
- Be aware of stress, anxiety, and mood.
- Protect yourself from the sun; use sunscreen and dress appropriately.
- Be aware of your weight; check your body mass index (BMI).
- Have your blood pressure checked every year.
- Exercise regularly according to your doctor's recommendation.
- Have a dental checkup twice a year.
- Get a flu shot.
- Eat a healthy diet.