Patient Rights and Responsibilities
You have a right to:
- Quality health care.
- Respect, consideration and dignity.
- Be treated without discrimination because of age, ancestry, color, disability or handicap, national origin, race, religious creed, sex, sexual orientation or veterans status.
- Request a specific health care provider at the Health and Wellness Center and to change primary or specialty providers.
- Participate in decisions concerning your health care.
- Accurate information concerning diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis of an illness or health-related condition.
- A second opinion.
- Privacy during medical care.
- Confidentiality of your medical record and all communications with staff and volunteers.
- Approve or refuse release of information to the fullest extent provided by law.
- Refuse recommendations for medical care.
- Refuse to participate in any research program.
- You have the right to choose the appropriate health care provider and facility that best meets your needs.
You have the responsibility to:
- Arrive as scheduled for appointments and to notify the Health and Wellness Center in advance if you need to cancel an appointment.
- Provide full information about your illness or health problem to ensure proper evaluation and treatment.
- Ask sufficient questions to ensure understanding of your illness or problem, as well as your provider’s recommendations for continuing care.
- Either carry out treatment and education recommendations, or accept responsibility for the outcome.
- Become informed through available printed and/or electronic material and/or discussion with Health and Wellness staff, about the scope of basic services offered, their cost and the necessity for additional medical insurance.
- Communicate with your health care provider if your condition does not follow the expected course.
- Make payment or arrange for payment of services.
- Maintain a healthy life-style.
- Bring forward suggestions or grievances about the Health and Wellness Center and the right to receive a personal response to your communication.