Articles Published in Refereed Journals
1. B. R. Tuttle, S. Dhar, S. H. Ryu, J. R. Williams, L. C. Feldman and S. T. Pantelides, “Sodium, Rubidium and Cesium in the Gate Oxides of Silicon Carbide MOSFETs” Mater. Sci. Forum 717-720, 453 – 456 (2012).
2. T. Aichinger, P. M. Lenahan, B. R. Tuttle and D. Peters, “A nitrogen-related deep level defect in ion implanted 4H-SiC pn junctions – a spin dependent recombination study” App. Phys. Lett. 100, 112113:1-4 (2012).
3. N. L. Rowsey, M. E. Law, R. D. Schrimpf, D. M. Fleetwood, B. R. Tuttle and S. T. Pantelides, “A Quantitative Model for ELDRS and the Degradation Effects in Irradiated Oxides Based on First Principles Calculations” IEEE Trans. Nuc. Sci. 58, 2937-2944 (2011).
4. D. R. Hughart, R. D. Schrimpf, D. M. Fleetwood, B. R. Tuttle and S. T. Pantelides, “Mechanisms of Interface Trap Buildup and Annealing During Elevated Temperature Irradiation” IEEE Trans. on Nuc. Sci. 58, 2930-2936 (2011).
5. Y. S. Puzyrev, T. Roy, M. Beck, B. R. Tuttle, R. D. Schrimpf, D. M. Fleetwood, and S. T. Panteldies, “Dehydration of defects and hot-electron effects in GaN high-electron-mobility transistors” J. of Appl. Phys. 109, 034501 (2011).
6. B. R. Tuttle, S. Dhar, S.-H. Ryu, X. Zhu, J. R. Williams, L. C. Feldman and S. T. Pantelides, ‘High electron mobility due to sodium ions in the gate oxide of SiC-MOSFETs’ J. of App. Phys. 109, 023702 (2011).
7. B. R. Tuttle, D. R. Hughart, R. D. Schrimpf, D. M. Fleetwood, and S. T. Pantelides ‘Defect Interactions of H2 in SiO2: Implications for ELDRS and Latent Interface Trap Buildup’ IEEE Trans. on Nuc. Sci. 57, 3046 (2010).
8. X. Shen, M. P. Oxley, Y. Puzyrev, B. R. Tuttle, G. Duscher, and S. T. Pantelides, ‘Excess Carbon in Silicon Carbide’ J. of Appl. Phys. 108, 123705 (2010).
9. Y. S. Puzyrev, B. R. Tuttle, R. D. Schrimpf, D. M. Fleetwood, and S. T. Pantelides, ‘Theory of hot-carrier-induced phenomena in GaN high-electron-mobility transistors’ App. Phys. Lett. 96, 053505 (2010).
10. T. Roy, Y. S. Puzyrev, B. R. Tuttle, D. M. Fleetwood, R. D. Schrimpf, D. F. Brown, U. K. Mishra, S. T. Pantelides ‘Electrical-stress-induced degradation in AlGaN/GaN high electron mobility transistors grown under gallium-rich, nitrogen-rich and ammonia-rich conditions’ Appl. Phys. Lett. 96, 133503 (2010).
11. B. R. Tuttle and S. T. Pantelides, 'Vacancy related defects and the E center in amorphous silicon dioxide: density functional calculations' Phys. Rev. B 79, 115206 (2009).
12. D. R. Hughart, R. D. Schrimpf, D. M. Fleetwood, X. J. Chen, H. J. Barnaby, K. E. Holbert, R. L. Pease, D. G. Platteter, B. R. Tuttle, and S. T. Pantelides, ’The Effects of Aging and Hydrogen on the Radiation Response of Gated Lateral PNP Bipolar Transistors’ IEEE Trans. on Nuc. Sci. 56, 3361 (2009).
13. B. R. Tuttle and S. T. Pantelides, 'Comment on "Theory of Defect levels and the LDA Band Gap Problem in Silicon” ‘ Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 089701 (2008).
14. I. G. Batyrev, D. Hughart, R. Durand, M. Bounasser, B. R. Tuttle, D. M. Fleetwood, R. D. Schrimpf, S. N. Rashkeev, G. W. Dunham, M. Law, and S. T. Pantelides 'Effects of Hydrogen on the Radiation Response of Bipolar Transistors: Experiment and Modeling' IEEE Trans. on Nuc. Sci. 55, 3039 (2008).
15. I. G. Batyrev, B. Tuttle, D. Fleetwood, R. Schrimpf, L. Tsetseris, and S. T. Pantelides 'Reactions of Water Molecules in Silica-Based Network Glasses' Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 105503 (2008).
16. M. J. Beck, B. R. Tuttle, R. D. Schrimpf, D. M. Fleetwood, and S. T. Pantelides 'Atomic Displacement Effects in Single-Event Gate Rupture' IEEE Trans. on Nuc. Sci. 55, 3025 (2008).
17. C. Tang, B. R. Tuttle and R. Ramprasad, 'Diffusion of O vacancies near Si:HfO2 interfaces: An ab initio investigation' Phys. Rev. B 76, 073306 (2007).
18. B. R. Tuttle and R. Meade 'Microscopic Aspects of the Variations in the Retention Times of MOSFET DRAM' Appl. Phys. Lett. 90, 202105 (2007).
19. B. R. Tuttle, C. Tang and R. Ramprasad 'First-principles study of the valence-band offset for strained hafnia on Si(001)' Phys. Rev. B 75, 235324 (2007).
20. S. K. R. Patil, S. V. Khare, B. R. Tuttle, J. K. Bording, and S. Kodambaka 'Investigation of mechanical stability of possible structures of PtN using first-principles computations' Phys. Rev. B 73, 104118 (2006).
21. R. Van Ginhoven, H. Hjalmarson, A. Edwards, P. Schultz and B. Tuttle, 'Hydrogen Release in SiO2: Source Sites and Release Mechanisms' Nuc. Instr. and Meth. in Phys. Res. 250, 274 (2006).
22. B. Tuttle 'On the behavior of hydrogen in amorphous silicon' Mod. Phys. Lett. B 19, 683 (2005).
23. B. R. Tuttle 'Theory of hydrogen related metastability in disordered silicon' Phys. Rev. Lett. 93, 215504 (2004).
24. B. R. Tuttle 'Theoretical investigation of the valence band offset between Si(100) and SiO2' Phys. Rev. B 70, 125322 (2004).
25. A. Rockett, D.D. Johnson, S.V. Khare, and B. R. Tuttle 'Prediction of dopant ionization energies in silicon: the importance of strain' Phys. Rev. B 68, 233208 (2003).
26. B. R. Tuttle, 'Ab initio valence band offsets between Si(100) and SiO2 from microscopic models' Phys. Rev. B. 67, 155324 (April 2003).
27. M. Staedele, B. Fischer, B. R. Tuttle, and K. Hess, 'Resonant electron tunneling through defects in ultrathin SiO2 gate oxides in MOSFETs' Solid State Electronics 46, 1027-1032 (2002).
Grants and Awards
Senior Researcher on grant from National Science Foundation 10/2009 – Present
- ‘The oxidation of silicon carbide and structure-defects-mobility relations’ Lead PI, S. Pantelides, Vanderbilt
Lead PI on grant from National Center for Supercomputer Applications 08/2000 – 09/2010
- ‘Atomic simulations of silicon-based electronics’
Fellowship from the Petroleum Research Fund Summer 2006
- Collaborated with R. Ramprasad on his grant entitled ‘Computational Study of Conduction and Breakdown Mechanisms in Metal Oxide Dielectric Insulators’
Lead PI on Petroleum Research Fund grant 09/2003 – 08/2005
- ‘Thermodynamics, kinetics and hyperfine parameters of defects in hydrogenated amorphous silicon’
Received award to attend the AAPT Workshop for New Physics Faculty October 2002