- To provide a broad foundation in chemistry that stresses scientific reasoning and analytical problem solving with a molecular perspective.
- To provide students with the skills required to succeed in graduate school, the chemical industry or professional school.
- To expose the students to a breadth of experimental techniques using modern instrumentation.
- The student will understand the importance of the Periodic Table of the Elements, how it came to be, and its role in organizing chemical information.
- The student will understand the interdisciplinary nature of chemistry and to integrate knowledge of mathematics, physics and other disciplines to a wide variety of chemical problems.
- The student will learn the laboratory skills needed to design, safely conduct and interpret chemical research.
- The student will acquire a foundation of chemistry of sufficient breadth and depth to enable them to understand and critically interpret the primary chemical literature.
- The student will develop the ability to effectively communicate scientific information and research results in written and oral formats.
- The student will learn professionalism, including the ability to work in teams and apply basic ethical principles.