Details and instructions for what to do on migration day will be updated regularly...please check back.
DO NOT use any PSU email or Calendar after 5 PM Monday Jan 23 until 8 AM January 24th.
Quick Links: Select instructions that best apply to you...
Dedicate time the morning of Jan 24 to verify your email and calendar are functional
IF YOU EXPERIENCE ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS, email can be sent and received at http://ucs.psu.edu
Verify your newly configured email client is functional with the following steps which will be in the onscreen message (pst.log) on your campus computer: Complete all steps (1 thru 19) to finalize email configuration for UCS email.
1. Open the Outlook or Thunderbird email client you used prior to Jan 24th
2. Check your email and export your Outlook filters (if you have any)..click here for instructions to export filters
3. (For Thunderbird users only) - Select and forward all messages that are marked after 5PM Friday January
4. Close Outlook or Thunderbird
Initialize and Complete UCS Mail Migration
5. Open the "UCS Migration folder on your computer desktop
6. Run the "Start Email Migration to UCS" file
7. Open Microsoft Outlook
8. You will be prompted for your access account password: Please enter your password: (the email address field should ONLY have your userid - not your full email address)
9. Outlook will load your UCS mail. (This may take several minutes). You will not yet see your folder structure as it was prior to Jan 24, 2012. To access your previous email...please choose the following: (if no location is present in your onscreen message [see contents circled in red in example below] then please skip to step 10)
FILE --> OPEN --> OPEN OUTLOOK DATA FILE --> then enter and choose the location(s) at the bottom of your onscreen message (see figure below as an example). If you have multiple locations below, you will need to complete this step for each location.
10. Start a new email message to yourself
11. Press signature on top ribbon to create a new signature and add it to your new messages and replys
12. Send the email
13. Close Outlook (very important to close Outlook at this step)
Contacts (Address Book)
14. Open Outlook
15. Find your important contacts in the list of contact folders...highlight and drag these important contacts to the "Contact- UCS" folder (see example below )
Filters and Spam - Enables Outlook to manage all filters and spam
16. Go to UCS Tab at the top of Outlook --> Click Advanced icon--->enable the check box for "Enable local rules" (see example)
17. Go to UCS tab ---> click on UCS Server Rules ---> clear the checkbox for Spam Control: Level5 and clear the checkbox for Spam Control:Level 4. (Spam control will be addressed by Outlook client rather than the UCS settings.) (see example)
18. Import your previously exported filters (if you had any)
19. Close Outlook - (very important to close Outlook at this step)
AutoComplete - (Feature which fills in the destination email address when you type the first few letters)
19. Go to the UCS Migration folder on your desktop and double click on the icon "Autocomplete for Outlook" - Wait until this window closes. If this takes more than 5 minutes..please reboot.
20. Open Outlook
Your are finished with your Email conversion!
Outlook Notes: Where is my email located in Outlook? - Two Areas for Mail
You will now have two locations for mail.
1. UCS - Your Full Name
All Future mail will be delivered to this location
All mail in this location will be available to other Andriod and IPhone/Pan devices, UCS web mail, and home other computers you may work with.
There is a GB size limit to this data, there is to be a three month grace period before you you will be asked to pay a small monthly fee for overages
2. UserID_Behrend , or the name of the outlook file you just imported'
This area has Inbox, Sent, folders, but they will no longer receive mail.
This area will hold your mail prior to Jan 24th.
If you were using Thunderbird on Monday, your converted Thunderbird mail will all be here.
This mail is local and will not be exposed to UCS Web Mail, IPhone/Pad, or Android devices.
There is no size limit to this area.
Self-configured Thunderbird, Google, or other configurations
Thunderbird configuration instructions -http://kb.its.psu.edu/article/1648
Email previously configured to be forwarded to Google or other email provider:
I will not be on campus the morning of Jan 24...What should I do?
- Users who will not have their usual network based laptop on campus or users who not have access to their desktop computer will need to use the UCS web client at http://ucs.psu.edu.....until they bring their laptop on campus. Once your laptop is back on campus it will display the necessary instructions with an onscreen message. All new email (after Jan 23) will be available in the UCS web client. Old email can be referenced in your existing mail client (but new email cannot be checked with the existing client)...until your system connects on campus and receives the necessary updates.
Save to a location you can easily find after the conversion.
Back to Top
All permission on calendar have been reset, so if you want others to manage and see detains of your calendar:
1. Choose Calendar from bottom left of Outlook
2. Choose Folder, Calendar Properties, Sharing.
3. Press Add, Choose Internal,Type userID, Choose To at the bottom.
4. Choose the level of permission for the chosen UserID
5. Ignore this message, the process is done.
To View a Shared Calendar with Outlook
1) Open a Web Browser and navigate to http://ucs.psu.edu
2) Login using your UserID and Password
3) Click on the Calendar tab
4) Click on the Find Shares link
5) Type the full email address of the shared calendar in the Find Shares box.
6) Click Search
7) Check the box next to Calendar
8) Click Add