To be considered for enrollment in the MBA program at Penn State Behrend, you must have received a bachelor's degree from a regionally-accredited institution under residence and credit conditions substantially equivalent to those required by Penn State. International applicants must hold the equivalent of an American four-year baccalaureate degree and must submit scores for the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or the IELTS (International English Language Testing System).
Admission decisions are based on undergraduate grade-point average, Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) scores, recommendations, and our assessment of how well the applicant's objectives match those of the program. Admission to the MBA program is granted jointly by The Graduate School of Penn State University and Penn State Behrend's Black School of Business.
You may apply for admission to Penn State Behrend's MBA program each of the three semesters of the academic year (fall, spring, and summer). Click here for important application deadlines, semester dates and the date of mandatory orientation. You can submit the online application prior to taking the GMAT.
Applicants to both the Pittsburgh and Erie programs:
Summer '13 - Apply now then complete all application requirements by April 8.
Fall '13 - Apply now then complete all application requirements by June 27.
1. Submit Penn State’s Graduate School Online Application.
Click here to access the application portal. Note that once you submit your application, you can still access it to upload documents.
- Skip questions you don't know such as Jr./Sr. GPA, GMAT scores, etc.
- If you previously submitted a PSU Graduate School application, you don't need to submit another one. Contact Behrend's Graduate Admissions for a Change of Major application.
2. Submit a Statement of Purpose: The statement should address the following:
- Why have you chosen to pursue the Penn State Behrend MBA?
- How will these studies help you achieve your personal and professional goals?
- How will your participation contribute to the Penn State Behrend MBA program?
- Indicate your current, or most recent, work responsibilities.
* Once completed, upload as a Word document to the online application.
3. Submit two official transcripts.
Two official transcripts are required from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended. Penn State alumni do not need to provide Penn State transcripts. Have transcripts sent directly from the Registrar's Office at each institution to: Penn State Behrend, Graduate Admissions Office, 5451 Merwin Lane, Erie, PA 16563.
4. Submit contact information for three individuals who will complete the online references/recommendation form.
The MBA program requires three references from academic or professional sources. Current undergraduate students are required to have faculty within their academic school submit all three recommendations. Register each individual and their email addresses on the online application; they will receive an email directing them to complete a web-based form. Recommenders will not be sent an email until you have submitted the application; allow them plenty of time to meet the application deadline.
5. Submit GMAT scores.
GMAT scores are required of all applicants unless you have a completed master's degree from a regionally accredited institution or an MD, JD or a PhD. The GMAT must have been taken within five years of applying to the MBA program. The GMAT score that is required is based on each applicant's GPA.
- On the day of GMAT testing, do two things:
- Select Pennsylvania State University-Erie as a score recipient; after fourteen days the official school copy can be accessed by Graduate Admissions.
- Scan and email or fax your unofficial score report to the Penn State Behrend Graduate Admissions Office at 814-898-6053; this allows us to continue processing your application for admission.
6. International applicants, click here for additional requirements.