The mission of The Pennsylvania State University as a land-grant public research university is to educate students from Pennsylvania, the nation, and the world. The University improves the well-being and health of individuals and communities through integrated programs of teaching, research, and service, as well as engages in collaborative activities with industrial, educational, and agricultural partners here and abroad to generate, disseminate, integrate, and apply knowledge that is valuable to society.
In executing this mission, the University community is guided by the following independent values:
- PENN STATE COMMUNITY: We are Penn State, one community geographically dispersed, united in our commitment to our common values, goals, and relationships to one another, the University, and our communities.
- RESPECT: We honor the dignity of each person, treat each individual accordingly, engage in civil discourse, and foster an inclusive community.
- RESPONSIBILITY: We meet our obligations and hold ourselves accountable for our decisions, actions, and their consequences.
- INTEGRITY: We act in accordance with the highest ethical standards, making certain that our behavior reflects our values.
- DISCOVERY: We seek and create new knowledge and understanding, and foster creativity and innovation, for the benefit of our communities, society and the environment.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to give and do our best in all our endeavors.
- LEARNING ORGANIZATION: We seek to learn from others, share best practices, and continuously improve our processes and performance.*
* Penn State Behrend addition to Values